Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum History

Interpretive watercolor of the King's Reach Site

In 1983, Mary Marvin Breckinridge Patterson donated to the public one of the most important archaeological properties in the Chesapeake Bay region.  Her gift to the State of Maryland of the Point Farm Estate, the largest land gift the State has ever been given, created the Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum.

Long before the Pattersons, people found this property with its 2.5 miles of shoreline an excellent place to live.  The archaeological sites thoroughly document a remarkable and varied history that goes back thousands of years.  Some of the sites, and the people and events associated with them, are known through documentary evidence, oral histories, and archaeological research.  However, even after twenty five years of excavations, museum archaeologists have explored less than one percent of the potential sites on the property.


Click on the links below to learn about JPPM's History.





Small image of Native American stone tools.

Timeline of Occupation

Native Americans

Colonial & Post Colonial










Their Lives

Their Home



WAR OF 1812

  Image of War of 1812 artifacts.

Battle of St. Leonards Creek

Local Figures