The Buck Site is located on the east side of the northeast
branch of Langford’s Bay in Kent County, Maryland. In 1663 the
area was part of a 600 acre tract called Tully’s Fancy which was
granted to Captain John Tully for transporting 12 people to Maryland.
It is unclear whether Tully ever lived on the tract, but documents that
refer to him generally note that he was a resident of London, so if
he did found a plantation it probably was not his primary residence
and was most likely run by tenants or slaves.
Tully sold the property to merchant Henry Hosier of
Calvert County in 1671. Hosier had been living on a neighboring parcel
with Timothy Goodridge by 1668 and he became a Kent County Commissioner
in 1676. The Buck site may represent a trash pit from an occupation
by Hosier and his family, servants, and slaves. Although Hosier was
a merchant, he seems to have been only of modest means. His probate
inventory lists his goods as worth about 168£ sterling when he
died in 1686.
owner of the Buck Site brought the area to the attention of
L.T. “Duke” Alexander of the Archaeological Society
of Delaware in 1971 because of Mr. Alexander’s interest
in clay tobacco pipes. Between 1971 and 1978, Alexander systematically
surface collected and excavated what turned out to be a 16’
by 20’ trash pit. In all, 80 2 x 2 foot excavation units
were excavated. Each unit had plow zone with a hard packed oyster
shell deposit underneath. This shell layer contained domestic
debris, as did the remaining soil of the trash pit sealed underneath
the shell layer. One post hole and mold was found in the trash
pit, indicating the use of earthfast construction at the site,
but no other areas of the site were tested in order to determine
the layout of the plantation or the relationship between the
trash pit and possible structures.
Alexander made very detailed notes, performed historical
research, and consulted many specialists on colonial artifacts for the
project. His artifact analysis cautiously dates the site c. 1660-1700,
but it may well have been abandoned earlier; possibly when Hosier died
|Alexander, L. T.
||North Devon Pottery and Other Finds 1660-1700. The Bulletin and
Journal of Archaeology of New York State No. 88, Spring 1984, p. 15-32.
The Buck Site archaeological collection is owned by the Maryland
Historical Trust and curated at the Maryland Archaeological Conservation