c. 1651 - 1685
Compton tobacco plantation was probably founded by William
and Magdalene Stevens c. 1651. The Stevens family is believed to have
come to the site along the Patuxent River from Virginia. They lived at
Compton until 1665, when they moved to Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
Unidentified tenants probably occupied the site from 1665 to about 1685.
Compton was discovered by an archaeological survey in
1987. A residential development slated for construction at the site prompted
full data recovery in 1988. The data recovery included plow zone sampling
and chemical analysis followed by stripping operations to expose features.
Twenty-six features were excavated, consisting primarily of pit features.
Many post holes and post molds were exposed, indicating the presence of
at least two post-in-ground structures at the site. Unfortunately few
post holes were excavated, making definitive architectural interpretations
Final Finding Aid.htm
The Compton Site archaeological collection is owned by
the Maryland Historical Trust and curated at the Maryland Archaeological