|18CV169 Melon Field
c. 1660 - 1685
The Melon Field site was most likely the mid-late 17th century
residence of Mary and Robert Taylor, Jr. and their daughters Mary
and Elizabeth. Robert Taylor inherited the tract, known as Taylor’s
Disposal, when his father died in 1661. The site appears to have
been abandoned after the death of Robert Taylor Jr. in 1682. Melon
Field is located within a quartermile of the King’s Reach site, though it was most likely
abandoned a few years before King’s Reach was built.
Melon Field was identified when plowing turned up artifacts
in 1982. In 1987, archaeologists at Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum
began investigating the integrity of the site through systematic surface
collection and chemical analysis to locate the main occupation area. Once
these studies had identified the primary area of activity, archaeologists
excavated a block of test units to expose intact features for mapping.
Although several post holes were identified that indicated the presence
of an earthfast structure, the area excavated was not large enough to
define its dimensions. No features were excavated, and the site was taken
out of cultivation to protect its integrity.
||Sites & Insights: Archaeological
Discoveries at the Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum. Jefferson Patterson
Park & Museum Studies In Archaeology No. 2.
|Pogue, Dennis J.
at the "Melon Field" Site (18CV169), St. Leonard, Maryland.
Report on file at Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory.
The Melon Field Site archaeological collection
is owned by the Maryland Historical Trust and curated at the Maryland
Archaeological Conservation Laboratory.