Smith-St. Leonard Site
In 2002, Public Archaeology at JPPM moved their efforts to the area that formed the heart of the Smith plantation during the first half of the 18th century. Richard Smith Jr., a militia captain and Surveyor General for the colony, built a house here in the early 1700s, which was later occupied by his son Walter Smith, a delegate to the Maryland Assembly.
JPPM investigations have been aided by a plat of the plantation that was drawn in the 1770s for a court case. The plat shows the locations of a number of buildings on the property. In addition, depositions taken during the case reveal other landscape features, such as fences and fields. The plat tells us that the area we are investigating contained the plantation owner's house, his storehouse and a detached kitchen, a quarter for enslaved workers, and barns. We also have detailed probate inventories taken in 1715 and 1749, which reveal the contents of each room in the main house.
Click here to learn more about Public Archaeology at JPPM.