King's Reach Site
In 1663, Stone sold the plantation to Richard Smith Sr., who had been the first person appointed to the newly-created office of Attorney General for Maryland in 1657. St. Leonard stayed in the possession of the Smith family for almost 150 years. It was a large farm during that period, dependant on the labor of many enslaved Africans for economic success. Richard Smith Sr. built a house in the vicinity of where the JPPM administrative offices and the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory are today. After he died around 1689, his son Richard Jr. inherited the property, and built a new house a short distance to the north. JPPM archaeologists excavated the site of this house in the 1980s. It is known today as King’s Reach, and is an outdoor interpretive site for visitors.