kept Smith from building a substantial, higher-quality building
at King’s Reach, he clearly had lost those constraints
by 1711. By that time, he had built a new home, known to archaeologists
as Smith’s St. Leonard. His room-by-room inventory indicates
a cruciform structure with a porch, hall, parlor, and kitchen,
each with a chamber above. A court case described this structure
as having the figure 1711 set in brick on the gable ends, indicating
that at the very least this structure had brick gable ends,
if it wasn’t entirely made of brick.
site is currently the object of summer public archaeology excavations
at Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. Four years of excavations
have exposed part of the foundation of the main dwelling, portions
of a wash house that was later converted into a kitchen, and
a slave quarter in the yard area. Excavations have confirmed
that the main house had a brick foundation, though the wall
uncovered was very close to the river bank, and most of the
structure is believed to have eroded into the Patuxent.
surprisingly, the construction of this brick dwelling conforms
well with increased political stability in the colony, the end
of the tobacco depression, and the increased use of African
slavery that made labor more available to the wealthy and motivated
planters to formalize the separation between owner and slave
in the built environment.